Saturday, November 21, 2015

Power Down




Today I went to a Bar Mitzvah at a conservative temple. I had been to this temple before and their rule is to turn off your cell phones and all technology to honor Shabbat. As a photographer, this is really hard for me! I’m usually the one to disobey rules and do what I’m not supposed to do.  But, I followed this rule today. There was a moment when I wanted to take a picture of my friend’s family, but decided that I wanted to honor Shabbat. There is a time to just be in the moment. Some things are meant to be experienced rather than recorded. I can’t spend my entire life behind the camera seeing everything through a small screen rather than with my own eyes. That wouldn’t really be living, now would it? Besides, it’s nice to take a break every once in a while – even for only a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment